Monday, October 02, 2006

Virginia Wine Festival Reviewed

I went to the Virginia Wine Festival this past weekend with my girlfriend. We learned several lessons:
  1. Frat guys drunk on wine suck just as much as frat guys drunk on cheap beer.
  2. Sorority girls drunk on wine suck just as much as sorority girls drunk on cheap rail drinks.
  3. Frat guys and sorority girls go to wine festivals in Virginia and get drunk.
I'm not the most sophisticated guy out there but even I know it's uncouth to shout "i just threw up so much!" while talking to a winemaker about the subtlety of their Cab Franc. Stumbling into a group of 60 year old Virginians while screaming "this wine is terrible!!!" is also a no-no. You just don't do it.

We were initially worried about our inability to properly swirl wine, but by early afternoon the most sophisticated patrons at the Virginia Wine Festival could barely speak without slurring. "Gimme that one" passed for polite conversation.

I'm not complaining. We had a lot of fun. But this was definitely wine tasting Virginia-style.

One last thing.
Why do we still have open-container laws? It was a pleasant sight to see people casually drinking wine in the open air, sitting on the grass with open bottles, sharing laughs with friends. The world did not end. Frogs didn't fall from the sky. People just enjoyed themselves.

5 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

I've always wanted to go to one of the wine festivals but haven't made it yet. Eventually...

I think the open container laws are out there more for the fools behind the wheel or the people who get wasted at three in the morning and wander around neighborhoods screaming at what they think is conversational level, all while drinking whatever they left the party chugging. :-)

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't make the wine festival this year, but looks like there were some people who didn't know how to behave, sadly.

10:43 AM  
Blogger kris said...

Hilarious. I'm sad I missed this people watching extravaganza. Glad you had fun!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great observations. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could've been to the festival, too. Not to see the frat guys and sorority girls, though I'm sure they made a good side show.

I'm looking forward to traveling to Sonoma later this month with my wife for the second part of our honeymoon. I'm sure we'll see our share of drunks, but I doubt we'll hear "I just threw up so much!"

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

open container laws?
you know where they don't have those?
new orleans.
move here with mandie and be my neighbor.
no world ending. no frogs falling from the sky. booze in the street. or park. or car (we have drive-through daquiri places).

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home