Thursday, December 21, 2006

Domestic Violence Morning

There's nothing like starting your day with domestic violence.

I was crossing 15th onto Harvard around 8:30 when I saw a large hooded man arguing with what appeared to be a 13 year old girl holding a baby. They were shouting, with the girl saying "I'm not lyin!" and the guy saying "Just give me my stuff!". I could just tell something bad was about to happen.

Guess what? It did!

I crossed the street as they walked down 15th behind the Unitarian Church, keeping an eye on them as I walked down Harvard. A second later I heard something like a yelp and then could only see this deranged guy's head over a row of cars. It looked like he was kicking something. Then I saw him raising his fist in the air and punching down. I called the cops. As I did three or four other people did the same. We were witnessing this cretin beating up a young girl with a baby.

I ran over to the intersection and gave a description to the operator. Barely 30 seconds later a cop car drove by and I flagged him down. He got out and stopped the guy, placing him in handcuffs. A minute later 2 or 3 other cops drove up. I gave a "statement" along with a couple other witnesses.

The fucked up thing was when the cop pulled up, the girl tried to get away along with the guy. I guess that's how these things go, but it was tragically upsetting. A friend later asked why I didn't physically try and stop this guy.

My answer was:


A) That's a great way to get shot

and

B) A cop was there before I could even cross the intersection.

Sadly, there's a good chance this woman won't even press charges. I would just love to know what this guy was thinking, as if one of the many uppity white people walking around wouldn't call the cops upon witnessing a large man punching a teenager with a baby. It was on a busy street during rush hour!

I guess that's just DC for you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

A friend later asked why I didn't physically try and stop this guy.

No I felt your actions were spot-on in this scenario. You did the right thing.

The sad thing is, like you said, that this girl will probably run right back to this man. I can never understand why people hold on to these broken relationships.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What ever happened to peace love and understanding? All I see is news on classic telephone .

8:34 PM  
Blogger mmafan said...

Sadly,

This woman's self esteem is so shot, she may never leave him. I hate to think what happens when they are not in public. I even feel worse for the child.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well he might do WORSE to her and her kid if she DOES leave him. something like 2/3 of murdered DV victims are murdered AFTER they leave.

YOU did a great thing and no you shouldn't have gotten physical. It IS a good way to be shot.

and BTW, SHE isn't the one who decides to press charges. That is the prosecutors job. She doesn't have a say...the laws have changed even in SHIT hole DC!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home